McKinsey is the largest management consultancy in the world. An expose in the Mail on Sunday revealed how it has lavished NHS regulators, drawn up proposals for the 2012 Health and Social Care Act , and used its government access to share information with other clients. McKinsey have been called by some
the firm that hijacked the NHS because of their undue influence at every level.
In 2009 They produced a report commissioned by New Labour Health Secretary Alan Johnson. It was denounced by the Tories at the time, but they (with then Health Secretary Andrew Lansley ) later published and implemented it. The report itself consisted of 124 largely unconnected Power-Point slides with no supporting evidence. It argued that the funding gap for the NHS will reach £20-billion by 2015, then it set out various speculative proposals as to how £20-billion could be cut from the NHS budget. These later became a set of mandates dubbed the Nicholson Challenge . These plans have shaped local Trust and commissioner boards to become agents of cost cutting.
- A 10 percent reduction in staff.
- A reduction in medical school training places.
- Offering GPs and community nurses early retirement.
- Pressing remaining staff to work more intensively.
- A concerted effort to push through hospital reconfigurations.
- Reducing the tariff paid to hospitals for patient care.
Estate optimisation- selling off
spareland and buildings.
- Limiting access to certain clinical procedures including; hip and knee replacements, tonsillectomy, back pain injections, grommets, hernia operations, varicose veins, minor skin surgery and wisdom tooth extraction.
- Reducing GP consultation times.
McKinsey also recommended a National NHS IT Programme - Connecting for Health - to be run by a consultant from Deloitte. This project (which also cost about £20-billion) is largely non-operational.
David Bennett spent 18 years with McKinsey before becoming Chief Policy Advisor to Tony Blair. He went on to become Chief Executive of Monitor .
Tom Kibasi rejoined McKinsey after 2-years out as Senior Policy Advisor to former NHS Chief Executive, David Nicholson. He went on to become the director for the Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR) think-tank.
How to Dismantle the NHS in 10 Easy Steps - Dr Youssef El-Gingihy
Pages: 29, 33, 34
NHS For Sale: Myths, Lies and Deception - Dr Jackie Davis et al.
Pages: 13, 133, 134, 135, 216
- Think of a Tank: 'Free market thinktanks' and their secret funders are a threat to democracy - George Monbiot
- McKinsey's Unhealthy Profits - Red Pepper